Teeth Whitening – Ann Arbor, MI
Bring Back Smiles That Shine
When you see your smile in the mirror or a photograph, we want what you see to make you happy. For too many people, that’s not the case. Sometimes, however, improving that smile isn’t really all that difficult! Of all the cosmetic dentistry treatments available from our cosmetic dentist Dr. James Olsen, teeth whitening in Ann Arbor is certainly the most popular, the most convenient, and the most affordable. Moreover, the results can be dramatic.
Over the years, the teeth can become stained and discolored for a variety of reasons, some avoidable and some not. These include:
- Darkly colored beverages and foods, such as coffee, soda, tea, chocolates, tomato sauce, blueberries, and strawberries
- Smoking and chewing tobacco
- Some medications, such as the antibiotic tetracycline, and some forms of chemotherapy
- A tooth injury that can darken the color
- A crack in your tooth where particles of food and other debris can hide and cause staining
- The natural aging process
- Your genetically programmed tooth color, which tends to become darker with time
With all of these obstacles, no matter how hard you try, your teeth will inevitably discolor over time. As time goes on, not only do most of us eat and drink dark foods and beverages, but our enamel wears down, making the teeth more susceptible to staining. This may be why teeth whitening continues to be one of the most popular cosmetic dentistry procedures. Dr. Olsen offers two take-home teeth whitening kits, allowing you to get whiter, brighter teeth in a way that best fits your schedule. Contact us today to schedule an appointment to find out which take-home solution is right for you.
Opalescence® Teeth Whitening System
Opalescence is designed to remove both the extrinsic stains on your teeth—those that are on the surface—as well as intrinsic, those that hide in cracks in tooth enamel as well as those that are just below the enamel in the dentin. Opalescence whitening gel contains either carbamide peroxide or hydrogen peroxide, both of which are powerful whitening agents that send oxygen molecules deep into your teeth to break apart stains and whiten teeth.
Dr. Olsen will custom-make trays for you to take home and fill with the Opalescence gel. Wear them for the amount of time Dr. Olsen prescribes, and you’ll see a whiter and brighter smile within two weeks. Moreover, you don’t need to worry about sensitive teeth after whitening because Opalescence contains potassium nitrate and fluoride to help reduce sensitivity.
Venus White Pro
With this system, you will also be given custom-fitted whitening trays that we make in the dental office. Venus White Pro is available in three strengths; you and Dr. Olsen will determine which one is best for your teeth. Choose anytime day or night to wear your whitening gel and trays. Venus White Pro gel contains potassium nitrate, which helps guard against the tooth sensitivity that can happen with other whitening systems.
Benefits of Professional Teeth Whitening
As a cosmetic dentist in Ann Arbor, Dr. Olsen believes in the power of professional teeth whitening and can help you see a whiter, brighter smile in no time at all. No matter the reason for your treatment, you will discover many great benefits come with choosing one of our take-home kits over the many store-bought brands available. These include:
- Improved safety: Unlike store-bought brands that leave you to decipher the instructions, Dr. Olsen will provide clear details on how to use the trays and high-grade bleaching gel. Not to mention, he will provide a prescribed duration for you to use your whitening kit. By following these instructions, you can expect a safer, more reliable treatment that produces outstanding results.
- Even results: Many over-the-counter kits only whiten the most visible teeth; however, the trays provided to you will allow for a comfortable and complete fit, making sure each tooth is whitened, giving you a complete smile that is brighter all around.
- Enhanced aesthetics: Because our teeth whitening kits are designed to produce long-lasting results in just two weeks, you can quickly see a dramatic difference in your smile. As a result, you’ll feel more beautiful and confident in yourself, allowing you to embrace new opportunities and finally rid yourself of any insecurities.
How to Maintain Results
With proper care and maintenance, your results can last quite some time; however, it is ultimately up to you to determine how long you are willing to extend the life of your whiter, brighter teeth. While you do have the option to return to drinking dark-colored beverages and smoking, you can expect to need touch-ups much sooner. It is advised that you avoid certain lifestyle habits if you want to make sure your teeth whitening experience lasts longer than a few weeks or months.
A few tips to keep in mind include:
- Maintaining good oral hygiene with brushing, flossing, and rinsing regularly.
- Keeping your dental checkups and cleanings every six months.
- Minimizing your exposure to dark-colored beverages and foods and using a straw should you be unable to stay away from your morning coffee.
- Never using your teeth as tools to open packages and containers, as this can wear down your tooth enamel over time.
- Quit smoking.